Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

To adjust is

Since arriving back to the states, I've done many things to make myself busy and somehow enjoy life back in America. At first, I wrote a lot of letters and notes to my friends back in Ukraine. Then, I put all my energy into grad school applications and job applications. But now that I've completed my first month at my "new" job, I've discovered my newest attempt to adjust to American life.

I have thrown myself into television on DVDs. At first, it was the Gilmore Girls. Then, I rewatched Grey's Anatomy. But then I discovered my haven. It was The O.C.

I have never lived in California. In fact, I don't know that California would ever take me into her world. I don't know how to surf. My hair isn't blonde anymore, let alone reasonably presentable. And I've never tried to wear a bikini. But this show has me hooked.

Chrismukkah got me for sure. A special holiday in which we bring all the goodness of different traditions into one house is ideal. And the man who created it, Mr. Seth Cohen, has stolen my heart.

I woule never be able to make it in the O.C. In fact, there are times when I wonder if I can really make it in this small rural town in which I am currently living. But I suppose I'm here for now.

I finished the fourth season the other day. Now it's all over and I'm back in my own life. And while my life is never as sensational as the television lives I have become engrossed with, there's one thing I know. My life is a mystery. I can't read ahead on the internet to see what's up next. I'm not syndicated so people can watch me at five and then again at two in the morning. My life is all its own and it's up to me to keep it interesting.

I guess right now, I've just gotta wait and figure out what I want just for today...

1 comment:

I guess that makes me the camel... said...

but if you were syndicated, i would tune in for the reruns:)