Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Death of a Cow

This morning, I was awakened by my mother. "Rece, Daddy needs your help. They're coming to butcher the cow today." Let me just say, upon principle, I am a vegetarian. If I could, I would boycott meat all together. There is something about the innocence in animals. Why would we want to hurt them? In practice, I am a carnivore. I eat meat. I prefer ham to all other meats, but I eat different meat to get proper protein.

So when I woke up this morning to help my dad, I only helped put up the corral. I felt bad doing it. And when my dad tricked the young steer into the corral, I talked to it. I tried to convince it that I was on its side. I wonder if I will remember that next summer when my dad tries to serve me tri-tip steak.

My sister-in-law watched the cow massacre. She thought it was fascinating. Why on earth she takes pleasure in a young cow's pain is beyond me.

Some might consider me a fruitcake. I consider myself empathetic. How do YOU think the cow would feel? I'd be frightened if I were a cow about to me murdered.

No comments: