Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

the death of customer service

The buck stops here. When Harry Truman first coined this phrase, I wonder if he knew how many people would use it. It's so matter of fact. It shows ownership, control, leadership, responsibility. I like it because it shows that Truman was a bit of a hard-ass.



At my current position on teller row, I often feel like a bit of a hard-ass. I'm not really sure how customers perceive me, but I do know that I react strongly to all of their misfortunes and annoying habits. Take, for example, a woman who doesn't have it all together. She often misplaces her keys, forgets that her pen is in her hair, and can't ever remember her account number. She laughingly comes up to the counter, shuffles through her bag, trying to find her check book. She apologizes for not being ready but doesn't step aside to let one of the other ten people in line come to the front. This woman ruins my day. Her light cackle annoys this aging mind of mine and echoes in my brain until I want to run away and scream.



Stupid people drive me crazy. There is a point when the brain feels as if it can explode. These people stretch me to that point.

No comments: