Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Live in Slave

Moving in with the parents is not necessarily something one brags about. Men who live with their mothers are the butt of more jokes than G W. It's not that living with one's parents is not a sensible, economic move. It can be very good for one's financial situation, but that doesn't change the fact that when asked by an old acquaintance where one lives, admission of "with the 'rents" is said with a little bit of remorse.

I have moved back in with my parents numerous times. Every summer, I'd move back to this small country house in Dayton, Oregon. I usually got a crap manual labor job, for two years at two different factories. Or my dad would con me into "working for him" driving a tractor on our so called farm. It was never something I enjoyed doing. I have always hated hot weather and each second in the sun has left me at a higher risk of skin cancer than had I found a fun inside job.

Since my last move home, I have officially become the live in help. Dishes every day. Getting people water. Cleaning up the mud other people have dragged in. It's not that I don't mind helping out but it makes me wonder, what if I was thirsty or what if I had a friend who wanted to visit me? Would any preparations be made or as the free maid should I expect to just kill my hands from all the dishes and wait for the bell of the one sitting on the couch?

No comments: