Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Friday, January 11, 2008

crashing the pow-wow

They sit in a small cirle, smoking their pipes and munching on salty pieces of buffalo jerkey. They discuss the new settlers that have taken to their land and ways they can dissuade the newcomers from permanent settlement. The young warrior has just taken a drag on the pipe. He sees me as I enter and begins to cough. All eyes turn towards me, the intruder.

This morning, as I went through my first job interview since re-entry to the states, I felt like the intruder Spending seven years away from the community in which I grew up makes me feel like an outsider. I am alien to the community in which everyone knows everyone else and gossip reaches the entire population as the avian flu takes over Europe.

I didn't think life in America would ever be this hard on me.

No comments: