Truth of Life

"The more garbage that happens to you, the better you are... Our lives are just vapor, that evaporates. So you'd better make use of what you've got."--Reginald Hill, September 5th 2002, lecture on Anglo-Saxon poetry techniques.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

lobsterback attack

I like to swim. I always have. There was never anything more fun to do than go swimming on a hot summer day.

This weekend was warm. It was more than warm. It was hot. On Saturday, rather than writing, studying for the GRE or learning more about how I can save the world, I took a small road towards hedonism by laying out in the sun. I engaged in some light reading and fell asleep, once on the beach chair I was lying in for most of the time and twice in the pool while in my floating bed.

Three hours of leisure led to at least a week of true pain. Skin such as mine cannot take the burn that has encased my back.

And so my back matches the red shirt that dons it each night. I can only hope that soon the freckles will take over and take all the ache out of it.

No comments: